I absolutely LOVE these muffins! They pack so much goodness into a sensible-sized serving. It is easy to grab one or two if you need breakfast in a hurry – I tend to munch on them in my car on the commute to school (or even during class sometimes)! Cook up a batch of these tasty treats on Sunday night and you will have breakfast all taken care of for your Manic Monday.
If you cannot purchase cinnamon sugar in a container, it is easy to make it yourself. As you may have figured out all by yourself, it is simply a combination of cinnamon and sugar! I like to use equal parts of both to create it, but you may change the quantities of each slightly to suit your personal taste.
CINNAMON-TOPPED OATMEAL MUFFINS
1 cup old fashioned oats (not instant)
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2-3 tbls. cinnamon sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a bowl, combine the oats and buttermilk, then let stand for 10 minutes.
3. Use a large bowl to cream together the butter, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla. Add in the oat mixture, then stir it to blend together.
4. Stir in the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda, mixing well.
5. Into a greased muffin pan, spoon the batter so that the pan is 2/3 full.
6. Sprinkle each muffin with plenty of cinnamon sugar.
7. Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes, then let muffins cool for 5 minutes.
8. To remove them from the pan, use tongs or a fork. Be sure not to let them flip over so that the crust of cinnamon sugar does not fall off!
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
BAKING TIME: 20 to 25 minutes
YIELD: 12 muffins